Performance Ensemble Audition Guidelines 2020 – 2021
Due to the pandemic, we are replacing in-person auditions with video auditions this year. Information about the content of the audition video will be posted by June 5 and will be due by June 26. Decisions will be made by July 10.
We are searching for Echo Theater Company students ages 8 – 17 who have excellent basic tumbling and trapeze skills and a strong interest in physical theater, collaboration, and performance. Students who are younger than 8 years old are welcome to audition but are less likely to be chosen due to limited space.
Below is a list of the skills to work on. Students don’t need to be able to do every skill on the list to be chosen for a performance group. We are looking for a good balance of skills in the various areas. It is equally important that students can work well with others, follow instructions, focus, take correction, be creative and open, and have a positive attitude.
ETC performance ensembles are a Sept – June commitment. As long as it is safe to do so, we will meet at the Echo Theater two days/week. If we are unable to meet in person, we will train, create and play together on Zoom as needed. Regular attendance is key to our success, so please consider your family’s schedule and other commitments when choosing to audition.
- Tik Toks (ages 8 – 14) will rehearse Tue and Thu 4 – 6pm.
- Zig Zags (ages 11 – 17) will rehearse Tue and Thu 5:30 – 7:30pm.
If you have any questions about the audition process, the skills assessed, or the commitment, please email wendy@echotheaterpdx.
- straddle-up: with no jump, straight legs, pointed feet
- pull-over: with a jump and some use of ropes OK
- step-step-kick-turn with good form
- strong knowledge of single-point trapeze vocabulary
- the ability to perform on trapeze, with expression and grace.
- handstand: at least 30 sec. against the wall & 1 – 3 sec. free-standing with good form
- cartwheel: both sides with good form & one arm cartwheel on dominant side
- back walkover: back bend kick-over and use of wedge mat or spot = partial credit
- front walkover: handstand-bridge and use of wedge mat or spot = partial credit
Partner Acrobatics Skills
- skyscraper: all parts
- thigh stand: base and flyer
- cathedral: base and flyer
1. Climb to the top, descend safely
2. Upside-down straddle from the half way up the silks
Theater Performance Skills:
Student should enjoy…
- speaking loudly and clearly on stage
- creating theater with others
- improvising theatrically and with creative movement
Strength & Flexibility
Strength and Flexibility
- push-ups: 3 with good form
- pike hang: for 5 seconds
- forward bend: fingertips to floor
- both sides splits
- bridge with straight arms
Student must be…
- respectful of the other students and teachers
- self-motivated & hard-working
- focused in class
- enthusiastic collaborators!