Audition for Youth Performance Companies 2022 – 2023
Sat June 18, 3:30 – 5:30pm
“Exhaust the limits of the possible.” – Pindar
We are searching for Echo Theater Company students ages 9 – 17 who have excellent basic tumbling and trapeze/aerial skills and a strong interest in physical theater, collaboration, and performance. Students who are younger than 9 years old are welcome to audition but are less likely to be chosen due to limited space.
Below is a list of the skills to work on. Students don’t need to be able to do every skill on the list to be chosen for a performance group. We are looking for a good balance of skills in the various areas. It is equally important that students can work well with others, focus, take direction, embody characters, be creative, and have a positive and open attitude.
The audition will take place in person at the Echo Theater, Sat June 18, 3:30 – 5:30pm. All hopefuls are encouraged to audition on this date, regardless of age or skill level. This will enable us to see a wide range of students and determine who is likely to thrive in which company. Auditions will feel a lot like a class, with opportunities to show tumbling, trapeze, creative movement, and performance skills. Advance registration will be open May 18 and is required for all hopefuls. More specific information about the audition process will be avialable at that time.
ETC performance ensembles are a September – June commitment. As long as it is safe to do so, we will meet at the Echo Theater two days/week. If we are unable to meet in person, we will train, create and play together on Zoom or at the park as needed. Each performance ensemble will create and perform at least one full-length stage production in the Spring, with mandatory outside rehearsals in the month before the show. Regular attendance is key to our success, so please consider your family’s schedule and other commitments when choosing to audition. The following weekly rehearsal times may shift slightly.
Tik Toks (ages 9 – 14) will rehearse Tue and Thu 4:15 – 5:45pm.
Zig Zags (ages 13 – 17) will rehearse Tue and Thu 6:00 – 7:30pm.
If you have any questions about the audition process, the skills assessed, or the commitment, please email wendy@echotheaterpdx.
- straddle-up: with no jump, straight legs, pointed feet
- pull-over: with a jump and some use of ropes OK
- step-step-kick-turn with hollow body
- strong knowledge of single-point trapeze vocabulary
- the ability to perform on trapeze, with expression and grace
- handstand: at least 30 sec. against the wall & 1 – 3 sec. free-standing with good form
- cartwheel: both sides with good form & one arm cartwheel on dominant side
- back walkover: back bend kick-over and use of wedge mat or spot = partial credit
- front walkover: handstand-bridge and use of wedge mat or spot = partial credit
Partner Acrobatics Skills
- skyscraper: all parts
- thigh stand: base and flyer
- cathedral: base and flyer
Aerial Fabric (Silks) Skills
1. Climb to the top, descend safely
2. Upside-down straddle from the half way up the silks
Theater Performance Skills:
Student should enjoy…
- speaking loudly and clearly on stage
- creating theater with others
- embodying characters and movement qualities
Strength & Flexibility
Strength and Flexibility
- push-ups: 3 with good form
- pike hang: for 5 seconds
- forward bend: fingertips to floor
- both sides splits
- bridge with straight arms
Student must be…
- respectful of the other students and teachers
- self-motivated & hard-working
- focused on group activities
- enthusiastic collaborators!