Update: July 26, 2021
We continue to follow the evolving guidance from Multnomah county, the CDC, and OHA as it is released. We will post updates to our policies, when they occur, on this page. Multnomah County is currently in the Lower Risk Category and is advising everyone 5 and older (2 and older if tolerated) to wear masks in all indoor public spaces, regardless of whether they have been vaccinated. Our maximum capacity for Summer classes is 10 students and for Summer camps is 12 students (or 2 cohorts of 6).
All the best,
Wendy and the Echo staff
Although classes will look different than in previous years, ETC is committed to ensuring the highest standards of safety, while also providing the fabulous programming that you have come to expect.
The following are ETC’s procedures and protocols, developed in response to COVID-19:
Echo Theater Company is following health and safety guidelines closely, creating COVID specific safety protocols and cleaning procedures, and adapting our class offerings and curriculum accordingly.
- Each student will complete a health screening and have their temperature taken, and wash or sanitize hands before each class.
- We have decreased the capacity of Summer classes to make physical distancing possible. Our maximum capacity for classes is 10 students and camps is 12 students (or 2 cohorts of 6).
- All teachers and students will be required to wear a mask when inside the Echo Theater. Masks will be provided if needed. (For exceptions to this rule, please scroll down to the “Masks” section.)
- Students and staff will remain at least 3 feet apart whenever possible.
- ETC staff will disinfect all mats daily, practice good hand hygiene, and clean all surfaces and equipment once a week.
- ETC asks any students or staff to stay home if they exhibit symptoms of COVID-19 or have been exposed to someone diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days. ETC will send any students or staff who are ill home.
- ETC will keep a log of students and staff and participate in contact tracing if needed.
- If it becomes clear that classes cannot take place safely, we will cancel as necessary and contact all registered students.
In an effort to minimize illness in our school, we ask that you PLEASE CHECK ON THE HEALTH OF YOUR STUDENT DAILY, BEGINNING 14 DAYS PRIOR TO CLASS AND CONTINUING THROUGH THE END OF THE TERM OR CAMP. The best classes start with healthy students and this begins at home.
In order to participate in class, families must submit a form indicating the student or guardian will complete this health screening daily for 14 days before the start of class and for the duration of the term to the best of our ability. In addition, we will do a verbal screening and take the temperature of each student at check in before each class. Please review the screening below.
- Have you had a cough?
- Have you had a fever?
- Have you had shortness of breath?
- Have you been in close contact with anyone with these symptoms or anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 in the past 14 days?
If you can answer “yes” to any of the questions above, please contact us to reschedule your class.
DROP-OFF & PICK-UP INSTRUCTIONS
- Students and parents will line up outside on the sidewalk and wait to be invited in by ETC staff.
- At check-in we will take the student’s temperature, make sure we have your forms in order and ask a few questions about your health during the last 14 days. We will also touch base about the pick up plan and answer any questions you may have.
- We are asking parents to say their goodbyes at the front door of the theater. If this does not work for your family, we will allow parents to enter the theater as needed.
- Students will wash or sanitize their hands before entering the class space.
- We ask families to respect social distancing when coming and going.
Pick up Instructions:
- At pick up, parents will line up to receive their student just outside the theater doors.
- When each parent reaches the front of the line, we will bring your student out to you.
- We ask families to respect social distancing when coming and going.
PHYSICAL DISTANCING DURING CLASSES
Physical Distancing during Classes:
- Students will be encouraged to remain at least 3 feet away from other students and staff at all times.
- Classes will not include partner work or activities that bring students closer than 3 feet apart.
- Exceptions to this rule can be made for students in the same family or “bubble”.
- Teachers will keep hands-on spotting to a minimum. Safety is our primary concern. If a student is at risk of injury, our teachers will assist them as needed.
- Teachers will take the following precautions to reduce spotting: increased instruction on the ground, use of demonstrations and visual aids, and aerial equipment hung at a lower height.
- Each instructor will be a designated emergency spotter for up to 6 students maximum.
- All ETC staff will wear masks when interacting with students.
- All students and teachers are required to wear masks during class.
- Masks will be available for students if needed.
- Masks can be removed for water breaks. During water breaks, students will remain at least 6 feet from others.
- Exceptions to this rule include private classes with members of the same family or bubble in which all students and staff agree in advance to remove masks.
FOOD & WATER
Food & Water for Classes:
- Students and staff will NOT eat in the theater space.
- Students and staff will bring their own water bottle.
- Students are welcome to fill their water bottle at our water cooler.
- Students will only drink water when at least 6 feet away from other students.
Food & Water forCAMP:
- Please pack the following each camp day: 2 snacks, 1 bagged lunch, and a water bottle with the student’s name
- PLEASE NOTIFY THE OFFICE of any allergies that we need to be aware of and any actions we should take regarding them.
- Students must wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water before eating.
- Snacks will not be shared, except within family units.
- Snacks and lunch will be eaten outside.
- Hands will be washed after snack and before re-entering the theater.
- ETC staff will disinfect mats daily and all aerial equipment and juggling supplies at least once each week.
- For more detailed information about our cleaning procedures, please email Hello[at]echotheaterpdx.org to receive a copy of our “COVID- 19 Cleaning Protocols” document.
The Echo Theater is ventilated with a brand new AccuClean Electronic Air Cleaning System, installed September 2020. This system moves air through a collection of ducts that serve the lobby and theater space. These ducts draw air back to the system, where it passes through an electrostatic filter and is cleaned before returning to the opposite side of the room. The furnace, ducts, and filter are all regularly maintained, cleaned, or replaced in accordance with health standards and performance guidelines.
Additionally, we have fans in the ceiling that move air through roof dormers, whirligigs in the roof that vent heated air through the ceiling, and air purifiers on each side of the theater space. Weather permitting we will have our front doors and back window open for increased circulation, along with floor fans that push air outside.
If ETC chooses to cancel a class for reasons related to COVID-19 or associated mandated closures, you will receive the choice of a full refund or a full class credit. If your child or a family member is ill or you are concerned about COVID – 19, you may cancel your registration and receive a full credit to your ETC account at any time. Unfortunately, we can NOT offer refunds once classes have begun. To view our complete cancellation policy please click this link.
COMMUNICABLE DISEASE PLAN
Communicable Disease Plan:
ETC has a communicable disease plan that outlines the steps that must be taken in the event that there is a case of COVID-19 or any other communicable disease in class.